Thursday, January 14, 2010

How We See

© 2010 Constance Hobbs. All rights reserved.

What is it that white flowers remind you of? Is it gentility, fragility, purity, femininity, vulnerability, beauty, or freshness? We all have associations with things in our environment. The interesting thing is that we have different associations. I find that fascinating. Like this flower above, if I asked 10 people what it made them think of, or what was their emotional response, I'm sure I would get 10 different reactions. And so it goes with art and photography. People view our work differently. Haven't you noticed that the art pieces you like are not the same pieces that get the biggest response from others? Curious, isn't it? 

© 2010 Constance Hobbs. All rights reserved.

I am continually stunned by the power and strength of our early experiences on the rest of our lives. I feel that's what comes into play frequently when viewing art. No matter how professional one is, for example a curator, or how open minded, we all have preferences. These preferences are formed early and altered little as life marches on. Buddhists say, if we live a conscious life, we can be free of those influences. That's wonderful, but if you are like me I often go on auto pilot which is when these influences frequently rear their head. Now, some people are comfy with their preferences, others wish they could have a lobotomy, and some try or are successful at being open minded and uninfluenced. Oh yes, and then there are those that are completely ignorant that such a thing exists.


© 2010 Constance Hobbs. All rights reserved.

My sister always said "there's a Jack for every Jill". Now I know this seems unrelated, but I don't think it is. In the same vain there is a market for every artist. Let's face it. Some people will love your work, others will be neutral and still others will hate it. It's important to remember that these folks, as well as art professionals, have their preferences and don't view or choose work completely freely. As an artist there are so many rejections and hills to climb its important to keep this in mind. My father used to say "there's room for everybody in life". This includes artists too! Good luck to everyone for this new year. I wish everyone success, however you define it.

No comments: