Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Being Alive

© 2009 Constance Hobbs. All rights reserved.

I was walking down avenue de Champel in Geneva, on my way to the grocery store, when suddenly I became completely aware of being alive. What a wondrous, marvelous, fascinating experience simply to live, to exist. I was pondering the miracle of life itself. The state of being aware, of being awake. I was considering all the amazing things human being have accomplished. In the arts, music, architecture, flying machines and the list goes on. The possibilities for human beings are enormous compared to other species. My father used to say, "life is everything because the alternative is pretty scary". I sometimes think about that, but I don't know that there is much point in contemplating death, especially since we don't know what it is. No one alive truly knows. We don't know if its scary either. So why spend any precious life moments on it. It will simply come one day and I guess we will finally find out what its all about. Until then, lets see what we can accomplish and enjoy the wonder of being alive.


No comments: