Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Happy Halloween and Youngs Farm


© 2010 Constance Hobbs. All rights reserved.

Behind the walls of this quaint little farm house there exists some very yummy food stuffs. Especially the home made fruit pies, tea cakes and cookies. I played on this farm through most of my youth. I was lucky to have plenty of brothers and sisters to join in with me. My favorite game was hide n seek in late summer when the corn stalks would grow incredibly tall, way beyond my size. It was really thrilling because we couldn't see one another only hear one another. The sun would set, it was growing dark and the bats would be out flying around. You could just make them out against the deep blue sky that was not yet black. My older brother told me the bats would make a nest in my hair if I wasn't careful. Of course I believed him. It was scary because the bats would swoop down low and dart about right above my head.

© 2010 Constance Hobbs. All rights reserved.

This is what the farm looks like at Halloween. Straight ahead at the farthest trees is where I lived. This farm is on the north shore of Long Island in Nassau County. Very close to the Long Island Sound as well. It's a beautiful area known as the Gold Coast. I was very privileged to grow up here. 45 minutes from Manhattan and yet so bucolic. The flavor of the area has changed somewhat but because of the strict zoning laws has remained very much the same. Some farms in the area have had to close and have become vast open spaces with mega mansions scattered about. Almost surreal looking because there are hardly any trees. Quite a few horse farms still exist and driving around the area is still very pleasant. I have very fond memories of crazy, wild Halloweens of my youth.

© 2010 Constance Hobbs. All rights reserved.

No comments: