Saturday, February 12, 2011

Egypt Abu Simbel


©2011 Constance Hobbs

I have been to Egypt three times in my life. It is by far the most fascinating place I have ever been. Between the multitudes and chaos of Cairo, the unbelievable monuments in the south and the countries sweet and gentle people I return to my experiences there often in my thoughts. It's very difficult to explain to someone the mystery and magic that is Egypt if one has never traveled there. The scale of the monuments alone, as you can see in the photo above, is breath taking and mind boggling all at the same time. Above is Abu Simbel in Nubia southern Egypt. It sits on Lake Nassar which was created by the Aswan Dam. This huge temple was relocated to this location so as not to be drown by the dam project. While we were there people told us tales of gigantic fish which live in the lake because they exist and eat in the richly silted water. This may or may not be true? I never did find out for sure. This photograph was taken at sunrise and accurately reflects the color of dawn. I posted this image in view of all the current turmoil in Egypt. The new generation of Egyptians are highly educated and I am hopeful that the outcome of all of this will be positive for the Egyptian people and the area of the middle east as a whole.



No comments: