Sunday, November 1, 2009

Autumn in Geneva

© 2009 Constance Hobbs. All rights reserved.

We have been so fortunate with the weather here in Geneva, but today it has decided to change. I was walking in the park and I remembered something Joseph Campbell had said in an interview I had seen. He said, "I have such enormous admiration for mothers". He considered motherhood an incredible sacrifice. When my children were small, life was usually hectic and busy. I didn't have the luxury of contemplating "my sacrifice" if indeed I thought I was making one. Now that the girls are in college and I have more time for reflection, I am able to see bits and pieces of sacrifice emerging. I'm not sure where I will go with this, but explore it I will. 

© 2009 Constance Hobbs. All rights reserved.

When we lived in downtown Manhattan I remember other artist friends who wouldn't dream of having a child because it would take away from their art. They were absolutely correct, it would. Other artist friends had only one child. They felt it gave them more free time and flexibility, as a couple with a child and not as a family per se. I will admit there is a big change going from having one child to having two. Women have a complex life to lead as wives, mothers, sisters and lovers. So much to juggle, to do, to be. I'm like Joseph Campbell. I admire women. Being a good mother is such a wonderful, difficult and consuming job. If a women is able to achieve more than that, they are super women to me.

No comments: