Monday, August 23, 2010

Lizards and Geckos are Everywhere

© 2010 Constance Hobbs. All rights reserved.

Lizards are everywhere in Florida. I'm really trying my best to get used to them. They are very quick and manage to squeeze into the tiniest of places. I tell the kids to please close doors behind them so that the lizards don't find their way indoors. I know you can imagine how successful I am. Here in Florida people say that an abundance of lizards indicates a healthy yard or garden and insures a reduction of insects or pests.

© 2010 Constance Hobbs. All rights reserved.

This morning, as I was having my coffee, I glanced outside the living room window to see the largest lizard I've seen so far. It was a brilliant green, exquisite color and climbing the palm tree out front. From nose to tail I would say it was about 18-20 inches long and a little chubby. Well, not chubby naturally, but thick in the middle. Shall we say very substantial compared to the rest. It must be eating lots of garden pests. I briefly came across an article about a massive influx of Iguana's in Florida. I must get back to it. I read a brief headline stating the Iguana was introduced in Florida by careless pet owners who set them free. I remember when I first arrived here, someone, I can't remember who, told me "anything that is brought into Florida survives in Florida". Food for thought.

No comments: